17 June, 2007

Autistic Pride Day 2007

I am beginning this blog today, because tomorrow, June 18th, is the 3rd(?) annual Autistic Pride Day.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_Pride_Day)
(http://www.autistics.org/library/autpride2005.html)

Many people wonder what autism is. The media will tell you a lot of negative and frightening things about autism. Many autistic people, even those whose lives are very much different from "normal" because of autism, will tell you completely opposite things, including how being autistic actually has its advantages. I plan to spend some of the first posts debunking some common misconceptions about autism, with the help of links to autistic bloggers.

Many people wonder how a person could be "proud" of a disability. I have my own doubts around the idea of being proud of something that one has not achieved, that one was just born with (or, for that matter, being proud of something one has achieved). But in the sense of pride as the opposite of shame, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Many people wonder about the implciations of autism on things like intelligence, social interaction, ability to function as an adult, and even mental health. In this blog I will try to answer or at least discuss some past and present questions that I have heard from different people about these kinds of topics.

This is an ambitious set of goals for an intermittent blogger like me, so I think I will leave it at this, for now.

Please feel free to post questions in the comments.
Your comments will appear after I approve them, and I will try to answer, often by referencing others, usually autistic bloggers.

Oh and by the way, this year's topic is "Autistics Speak: Take time to listen!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, after talking to you about it, i now have a better understanding of your title. And, yeah, i read the part beneath the title, and it now makes a lot of sense. I don't know why it didn't click at first, but it does now ^_~

<3

Sra. Sánchez-Suárez said...

whew, i am glad it makes sense. now, how do i make it show up in bigger print?! hmmmmm...

(~_^)